As much as I love getting away from the city, traveling far takes time, and more expenses. In an effort to save more money but still have a relaxing getaway, I find myself opting for stay-cations instead. Especially with the recent long weekends, I wasn’t able to book a flight so off to a nearby hotel it is!
Recently, I got to stay at Verjandel Hotel, one of the newest hotels in the heart of Quezon City. They opened just last December 2016, and have been continuously improving the hotel based on their clientele.
Verjandel Hotel sits along Kalayaan Avenue in QC, having great proximity to the universities up north,
big government offices, as well as private institutions, and the popular food street Maginhawa in Teacher Village. This makes the hotel a great place to stay in, whatever your agenda may be, be it corporate, academic, recreational, or good old R&R.
Verjandel Hotel is the brainchild of three Pajarillo Siblings, the name Verjandel came from the portmanteau of their names. It’s their first foray into the F&B and Hospitality business, and based on their TripAdvisor ratings and reviews, they’re doing very well.
For this post, I’m doing a full review on my hotel experience, complete with virtual tour, as well as a quick review on the food from the in house restaurants.
The hotel lobby interiors are simple, but don’t let that fool you. Behind the sparsely decorated space are staff that give you the brightest smiles and really good service.
After checking in, we were immediately escorted to the room. We booked the Deluxe Single Room with Queen sized bed for Php 3875 for two adults, but they have an ongoing promo with 20% discount, so this one’s up for Php 3,100. Perfect for the long weekend!
Deluxe Single Room
I actually love how simple the room is. It really is as advertised. Clean, practical, adequate, and with the right amount of natural light coming into the room.
- Size – 280-sq-foot (26-sq-meter) room with city view
- Internet – Free WiFi
- Entertainment – LED television with cable channels
- Food & Drink – Free bottled water and snacks, equipped with mini refrigerator
- Sleep – Blackout drapes/curtains
- Bathroom – Private bathroom, shower, room slippers, hairdryer, and free toiletries
- Practical – Desk and phone; rollaway/extra beds available on request
- Comfort – Air conditioning and daily housekeeping
- Occupancy – Max of 3 persons
- with basement parking
My favorite part has to be the complimentary Cheetos! I always check to see if there are complimentary bottles of water, so it was a pleasant surprise to have free snacks to go with the bottled water.
There’s a little coffee table too if you need a working area.
The bed is ultra comfy, ensuring a good night’s sleep. Plus you can request for extra blankets and pillows if needed.
This was what I loved most about the room, a beautiful view of the sunset over the city! Look at all those colors!
Unlike the usual hotel restaurants, Olivia’s Cafe serves up comfort food at affordable rates. The mains range from Php 160 (Classic Spaghetti) to Php 285 (Garlic Ginger Salmon) at generous servings.
It’s also great for gatherings and even corporate lunch outs because the food is really good and the ambience is great.
I’m going to do a rundown of the dishes we had there because I think we almost had the whole menu! Haha
Appetizers and Beverages:
Photo above: Lemonade, Bacon and Mushroom Croquetas, Shrimp Thermidore
- Beef Salpicao (Php 220) – really tender, flavorful chucks of meat!
- Bacon and Mushroom Croquetas (Php 160 for 5 pcs) – crispy, big pieces
- Shrimp Thermidore (Php 235) – cheesy version of shrimp gambas, prolly my favorite from everything!
- Truffled Potato Wedges (Php 135) – really good for bar chow
- Mushroom Cream Soup (Php 85) – very comforting
photo above: Beef Salpicao
photo above: Iced Tea, Truffled Potato wedges, mushroom cream soup
photo above: Roast Beef, Steak Tanigue, Honey Garlic Spareribs
- Roast Beef (Php 265) – highly recommended! juicy tender pieces, with a matching flavorful gravy
- Steak Tanigue (Php 245) – grilled fish with a tangy salty marinade
- Honey Garlic Spareribs (Php 235) – salty sweet crispy pieces of pork
- Meaty Lasagna (Php 190) – bechamel, meat sauce party!
- Garlic Ginger Salmon (Php 285) – highly recommended! a big piece of salmon with a creamy tomato sauce, on top of smooth mashed potatoes! i swear it’s so worth it
- T-Bone Steak (Php 265) – perfect for meat lovers!
- Grilled Pork Belly (Php 235) – grilled meat with sweet and tangy marinade
photo above: Meaty Lasagna, Garlic Ginger Salmon, T-Bone Steak, Grilled Pork Belly
My top picks would be the Garlic Ginger Salmon and the Roast Beef! They’re both super good dishes if value for money is what you’re looking for.
The rooms have free buffet breakfast served at Olivia Cafe, but they also have all day breakfast dishes for Php 180.
The spread includes the usual silog partners: Beef Tapa, Bacon, Boneless Bangus, Longganisa, Corned Beef.
Verjandel Hotel also has its own Lounge Bar stocked full of both imported and local alcoholic beverages. They also host regular viewing parties for sports games like boxing matches and NBA finals with their huge LED TV.
The bartenders used to work for the Intercontinental Hotel, so I the cocktails are really good. They also have bar chow coming from Olivia’s Cafe like fries, etc.
Because of the proximity to the big government offices in Quezon City, Verjandel is usually fully booked with conferences and seminars at their function rooms. Aside from corporate events, they also do weddings, and other celebrations.
The rooftop is soon to be furnished with a swimming pool, so you bet you can enjoy pool parties the next time you stay at Verjandel. They also use the rooftop for events that prefer an outdoor setting.
Last February, they held a Valentines’ dinner special: 4-course menu with wine and music, plus a beautiful skyline view of the city.
V Fit Gym
The gym is the newest facility inside Verjandel Hotel. It’s open 24 hours and usage is free for in house guests. It is also open for walk-ins for a small gym usage charge.
And that’s it for my Verjandel Hotel virtual tour and review! Hope it helps you make a booking for this long weekend!!!
#70 Kalayaan Avenue, Diliman Quezon City, Philippines
Contact Nos.: (02) 285 6995 / (02) 285 7002
Instagram: Verjandel Hotel , V- Fit Gym